Halloween isn’t just for ghosts and goblins anymore. Every year something new hits the shelves, often times inspired by popular culture and bizarre happenings of the year. Remember the video of a rat dragging a piece of pizza down the stairs in a New York City subway station? Yeah, that became a costume in 2015.
We’ve scavenged some of our favorite costume sites for the most outlandish and unexpected ensembles. Whether they give you inspiration for this year, or just make you laugh, here are the 8 Weirdest Halloween Costumes for 2017.
1. Loofa & Soap. Spirit Halloween: $34.99, or $28 with coupon. Nothing screams Halloween like… showers? This one-of-a-kind loofa costume is available in four designer colors, and even comes with a string! Bonus: go as a group and have someone dress up as the soap. Double bonus: just go as the shower. Think of it as an homage to Psycho.
2. Cooked Turkey. HalloweenCostumes.com: $99, or rent for $44.99. I mean, we love turkey just as much as the next person, but not quite enough to dress like one. However, if you want to proclaim your love for poultry on Halloween night, this costume is for you. Just beware of being chased by hungry dogs.
3. Tornado. HalloweenCostumes.com: $49.99 on sale. Nature deserves a nod on Halloween, too. Tornados are plenty scary, and this is a fun costume that you can either buy or make yourself! Clever “twist”: add some plastic sharks for a Sharknado edition, or have a friend dress up as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.
5. Guy Riding an Ostrich. Spirit Halloween: $99.99 or $79.99 with coupon. Do people really ride ostriches? Should people ride ostriches? How fast do ostriches run on average? We have so many questions about this one.
6. Roller Coaster Cars. Walmart: $35.98 + free 2-day shipping. Here’s a funny DIY option. Construct your own roller coaster car out of cardboard that you wear around your shoulders, then add fake legs to the seats. Or, buy the Walmart kit for easy DIY assembly. It's half the cost of an amusement park ticket, and you don't even have to wait in line!
7. Candlestick. HalloweenCostumes.com: $69.99. What could be more exciting than candelabras!? This costume is lit. It doesn’t even have to be Beauty and the Beast themed; it’s just a good ol’ fashioned candlestick. But, if that’s what you’re into this year, we won’t judge. Better yet, have your crew dress up as all the Clue weapons.
8. Alien Abduction. Spirit Halloween: $59.99 or $48 with coupon. Inflatable costumes are on trend this year. Our favorite is this alien abductee. The costume cleverly uses your own legs and makes it look like you’re being taken away to outer space. We’re not sure how you sit down in this getup, but #worthit.
CiCi Sharstrom is a content writer for Coupon Sherpa. The weirdest costume she's ever done was a bunch of grapes. Not sexy grapes, just ordinary purple grapes.