Who doesn't love statistics about saving money! Coupon Sherpa has searched high and low for the most interesting coupon facts. See if you fall into these fun coupon trends!
Coupon Trends and Statistics
2017 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report
- 90% of consumers use coupons. Couponers report using 41% more coupons compared to 2016.
- 93% of distributed coupons are FSIs, or free-standing inserts.
- 77% of consumers shop where they can use paper coupons, and 84% of consumers say coupons influence their store selection.
- 84% of shoppers create lists based on available coupons. 52% of consumers will stray from their list in response to a good store sale or promotion.
- 86% of consumers admit coupons prompt them to try new products.
- 61% of all consumers use their phones to help them save money on purchases. 87% of parents turn to their smartphones for money savings.
- 53% of all consumers will scan receipts to their mobile device to receive cash back. 82% of parents scan receipts for points or cash back.
2016 Coupon Scorecard from NCH Marketing (PDF)
- 40% of millennial moms say they never shop without a deal.
- Less than 1% of distributed coupons are digital, yet 67% of consumers shop where they can use mobile or digital coupons.
Inmar Feb. 2017 Press Release
- 307 billion coupons were distributed in 2016, 4.3% less than 2015.
- The average face value of coupons in 2016 was $1.64, about 10 cents less compared to 2015.
- 89% of shoppers used at least one coupon during the last quarter of 2016.
- Redemption of load-to-card (L2C) offers increased 20% between 2015 and 2016.
- L2C offer redemption experienced double-digit growth between 2012 and 2016.
- Redemption of FSIs from newspapers fell 10% between 2015 and 2016.
NCH Marketing’s 2016 Coupon Savings Report (PDF)
- Over half a trillion dollars in coupon savings were distributed to consumers in 2015.
- Between 2013 and 2015, over $10 billion in coupons were redeemed.
2017 State of Mobile Offers
- Receiving a mobile offer from a store compels 58% of consumers to visit that store.
- 90% of millennials search for mobile offers while they shop.
- 77% of shoppers who redeem a mobile offer will spend more money.
- The number of adult mobile coupon users jumped 41% between 2013 and 2016.
2016 Purse String Survey - Valassis
- Of those who used coupons in 2016, 42% saved at least $30 per week, and 21% saved $50 or more.
- 55% of shoppers spend over 2 hours every week searching for coupons and savings opportunities.
- 54% of consumers use coupons for basic necessities.
- 49% of shoppers used a savings app in 2016, up 13% from 2014.
- 44% of consumers downloaded coupons to a loyalty card in 2016, compared to 33% in 2014.
- 53% of holiday shoppers who use coupons apply them to at least half of their gift purchases.
- 58% of consumers are using more print coupons compared to previous years. 38% are using more mobile coupons, while 14% of shoppers seek out savings on social media.